Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dances

Tonight I noticed a status in my Facebook feed from a friend of mine that goes to a different (private) school announcing that she was successful in asking a guy to Prom today. I kind of did a double-take, 'cause this is the third instance I've come across within the past week where girls have asked guys to Prom. I asked Nick to Prom this year, and it was this kind of half-noticed awkward attempt of something or other. At Bear Creek, no one seems to really expect couples to ask each other, but it just kind of looks unnecessary for the girl to do it on top of that. Several girls told me jokingly that they would tell their boyfriend off and find a different date if he said he wasn't in the mood to ask them to Prom, and had them do it. I eavesdropped a little stir among a group of girls during a class last week that basically went "OMG I DON'T HAVE A DATE WILL I LOOK TOTALLY DESPERATE IF I ASK A GUY IS THAT EVEN ALLOWED???"

But apparently, on the outside (cue dramatic voice!), it's not socially awkward at all for girls to ask guys to Prom. In fact, it even seems pretty common. Meganheartsmakeup, a beauty guru I watch on YouTube for the sake of art and social observation (total guilty pleasure), posted a video about cute ways her friends have gotten asked to Prom. Literally almost half of them were girls asking guys.

I feel pretty stupid considering that maybe our school is a whole freaking lot more sheltering than I've even had the chance to realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment