Wednesday, September 5, 2012

New Minds

I recently arrived at Calvin College, where time has been sucked out from under my feet. Part of what has sucked my time is fascinating conversations with fascinating people, and because it's college, those topics of conversations have suddenly become much more like the ones I'm constantly poking at trying to make people notice. Sexuality and gender have seemed to be relatively frequently-touched-upon topics of conversation, and I've been delighted to share IRL in the open public with no restrictions of a secret minority group all the stuff I've been thinking about and learning about and researching for two years.

Part of one of these conversations have been people of many different backgrounds. Most have barely thought about the topic of homosexuality, because it hasn't been relevant; others have, but never as deeply; others have, but haven't been given the opportunity to voice their opinions. I've watched people change their minds, and I've seen completely biblically-conservative people become appalled that "God's people aren't being treated with dignity." I believe that's a beautiful place to be. I love college students because everything seems to impact them as if for the first time, even if they've heard about it before. Their - our - minds are growing and stretching so quickly that even mundane things become reason for reflection and community discussion. People are so open about stuff. There's so much less stigma and secrecy than high school. The place we are in our lives makes it so much easier for people to take risks. And y'all know me. I rather like these kinds of risks.

No comments:

Post a Comment