Reposted from mariedippenaar.tumblr.com
I don’t generally reblog NSFW content, but I love this image. Female genitalia is so frequently spoken of as a flower, as something that should be delicate and beautiful and pristine, shy, protected by layers of petals. There are lots of issues with that, but it’s mostly the oppositional/sexist attitudes it brings out that I can’t stand. The constant women-are-flowers imagery, the expectation that all women are obsessed with flowers (in contrast to men), drives me crazy. I’ve never understood the hugeness of the infatuation, but more than that, I hate the expectation that people with penises are not like flowers or that they can’t receive bouquets on occasion or that it’s unreasonable to assume that they have a favorite flower.
Especially in consideration of non/pre-op trans* women, but also more feminine cis men and men that would let themselves be more feminine if society did, this image is powerful. If the person with the dick likes softness and pretty things, why not allow the genital to symbolize those things? It’s not like they’re less sensitive than vulvas (perhaps quite to the contrary). They’ve got stems and blossoms and everything - it’s just a different type of flower.
No comments:
Post a Comment